Frequently asked Question
- + What is Hair Transplant?
In hair transplant we extract the hair roots from the donor area which is situated on the back side of the head (Permanent Zone) and implant into the bald area.
- + What is male pattern baldness?
Your hair has roots which are present in the skin roughly 2.5 mm deep. These are called Follicles. The male hormone i.e. DHT(Dihydro-testosterone) is present on the hair roots & causes some chain of reactions which makes the hair fall off . For the male hormone to go and attach on the hair root, it requires a Receptor Site where it can go and attach. These receptors are absent on the hair roots of the back-side of the head. This area is called as the Donor Area or Permanent Zone or Bald Resistant Zone.
The male hormone therefore, cannot attach on the hair roots of the donor area (as they do not have the receptor site for attachment of the male hormone). Therefore the hair in these areas won’t be affected by the male hormone and would stay permanently for the whole life. That is why this area is called as Permanent Zone. So we take the hair from this area and implant it into the bald area, so that later these implanted hair should not fall-off because of the effects of DHT. This forms the logic of Hair Transplant.
- + How many hair or follicular units will you require in hair transplant procedure?
This depends on 3 factors i.e.
1. Present baldness.
2. Hairline desired : Hairline desired, or the area where hair implantation is desired is subjective factor. Which will depend upon your own wish.
3. Density desired
Density can be divided into.
• Fuller density = which implants about 45 FU/sq.cm.
• Camouflage density (Coverage) = which implants about 22 FU/sq.cm.
In Fuller density, you will get a full look of hair.
In Camouflage density, the baldness will be covered, but you won’t have fuller look.
- + How is hair transplant done?
In hair transplant, the healthy resistant hair from your donor area are removed and then implanted into the bald area. This implanted hair will grow naturally.
- + What are the different ways of doing a hair transplant?
Hair transplant is done in two basic ways i.e.
Strip technique or FUT :
Surgical technique involves harvesting a strip of skin from your Backside of head. The hair are then separated and implanted on the bald area. This involves cutting your scalp skin, then stitching it. This technique is therefore painful, gives a long linear scar and long downtime.
Follicular Unit Extraction :
- + What is SKINEDGE technique (Hair Transplant)?
This technique is most minimally invasive without any cuts or Stitches and minimal scars or Pain and minimal Bleeding and with no or minimal down-time or side-effects. Our technique is a technique which has no cuts both while extraction or implantation.
- + How do the results come?
Results come in 3 phases:
1) Growth Phase: Where the hair grows about 1-2 cms for the first 4-6 weeks.
2) Temporary shedding phase: Where the grown implanted hair will start falling. This phase may last for about 3 months. You shouldn’t get worried in this phase. The hair will again come back.
3) Permanent Growth Phase: Here all the fallen hair will again start growing. These hair are the normal hair with normal characteristics and will grow naturally.
- + What about my present existing hair? How do I prevent them from falling?
Your pre-existing hair is always vulnerable to fall because of the effects of DHT. We recommend you to start taking medication to prevent the falling of your pre-existing hair.
- + What happens to the extracted area? Does the hair grow back again?
The donor area looks still the same after extraction, no baldness appears over there though the hair that has been extracted is been transplanted to the bald area. The total number of hair still remains the same; we just manipulate the number of hair in preferred locations to give you a fuller look.
- + What are the side-effects?
Our technique has no or minimal side-effect free and there is Minimal or no recovery time or down time. You can resume your regular duties immediately.
- + Do I need to shave my head?
We need to trim the donor area and the recipient area to make the procedure result oriented. So ideally, yes we need to trim your hair.
- + What about my existing hair? Will they fall off?
Your existing hair is always under the effects of DHT, therefore they are prone to fall off. When would they fall off can't be told. So, it is advised that you start medications for your existing hair so that they are preserved and don't fall. The medications are not required for the transplanted hair.
- + Do I need to take any rest?
Absolutely not required. You can join your duties immediately from the next day (May increase in some instances).
- + Do I need to take any medicines?
You will be required to take post-procedure medicines for 5 days as prescribed by the doctor.
- + What is Min. & Max? Age of HT?
21 YEARS TO 65 YEARS, provided you are medically fit for the procedure.
- + How many number of days required?
In a single session about 3500 grafts can be transplanted, depending upon patient's donor-area
- + Do you recommend any Medicine?
Yes We Do. These Medications Are Not For The Transplanted Hair. But For Preserving The Existing Hair. Since the Existing Hair Are Under The Effects Of DHT Are Always Prone To Fall…so….to Prevent These Existing Hair From Falling…we Recommend The Medications…these Are…..1 Tablet And 1 Lotion …and Are To Be Taken At least For 1 Year.
- + How long does it take to heal?
There is some redness and crusting after the procedure. Hair Transplants are usually undetectable after 10 days. Some patients experience swelling during 3-4 days after the procedure.
- + How long does a procedure take ?
Smaller session (less than 800 grafts) can take 4-5 hours, while larger sessions (2000 grafts or more) can take 8 hours approximately. The main determinant of the length of the session depends on the number of grafts being transplanted.
- + What does a Hair Transplant cost?
The cost varies depending on the number of grafts transplanted and the type of procedure. Contact our staff at (phone number) to ask any questions about the cost of hair transplant procedure and available payment options.
- + How do i set up a consultation?
To schedule a consult, you can call us at (phone ) or submit a consultation enquiry. If you cannot visit our clinic for a consultation, you are welcome to submit a photo consultation inquiry. In-person consultations are always preferred because it allows doctor to evaluate hair loss pattern in a better way.
- + Is transplanted hair permanent?
Yes, as we are taking roots only from permanent zone, and transplanting them to bald area.So, transplanted hair will grow normally and will last for life.